Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Happy Birthday to me...Ugandan style.

My BD was yesterday and unless you *truly* remembered or are getting the emails I’m sending outside of this blog, you wouldn’t have known. I avoid having it be a part of the massive on-slaught of FB posts from people who otherwise wouldn’t care …. So, thank you to the few true friends and family who sent messages. In remote Africa, they mean more than I can ever adequately explain. Truly.



So, I am officially 35 now. Even I can’t believe it myself, probably more so than my parent’s disbelief because simultaneously my birthday ages them another year. We’re all growing up, I suppose. 35 full years! Time is going so fast! And it feels really good and nice and all the things that I guess “aging gracefully” encompasses. Plus, no wrinkles! Double bonus.


This year I am thankful that I am finished with school (for now!) and in a place that I truly love, doing work that I feel is so much a natural outpouring of me. It fits me well in so many ways - all the grit, dirt, grime and energy it takes being here included. I often daydream of what a life here would look and feel like full time, knowing deep down that this isn’t the end for me here….maybe not necessarily here in Uganda, but here in Africa somehow. Of this, I’m pretty sure. 
Predictably, I feel more at home here than even at home in Mississippi - or the USA. I reflect and am shocked how long I can exist there in an imposed ‘coast’ mode, obviously in the wrong place. After 2 years of Graduate school, taking Boards and immediately hopping the first plane, this truth is very evident to me now that I am away. This might not make sense, or even be offensive to some, but in  deep, meaningful, yet subtle ways I know it is true. What this might mean for my future, I’m not entirely sure, I just know that I am 35 now and not getting any younger.



All this narcissistic hogwash to say, I am really glad my BD was spent here … despite it being radically different than any other … it was one I’ll never forget. In a quick nutshell, all I asked everyone for was eggs and one chapati for my BD breakfast. This is basically a fried doughy bread that I fill with eggs. They call them a Rolex here (Yes, like the watch). We have them periodically but it is a lot of work to make the dough, roll them out and then individually fry each…but they are SO good...and pretty much the extent of BD presents to receive in these parts. This, and coffee with fresh milk from the guy who comes each morning to sell us fresh raw milk from his nearby farm. Simple request, no? I even pilfered the last two eggs to assure this one birthday wish.



In typical African style … none of it took place. And, in fact, we ran out of food. For 2 days, we were skimping on the basics and desperately needed a trip into town for food. But, ...in also typical African style ... our car broke down a few with a broken engine block days before that so we are stuck with very little transport and a dwindling supply of rice and beans…. Ahh…the realities in remote Africa.



Fortunately, a very sweet student here used some rationed millet flour to make her best biscuit attempt and brought them to me as a replacement breakfast. It was very kind. Later on, another midwife was packing to leave and discovered ½ a Snickers bar in her bag which we then cut into a small piece for everyone. This 1/8 of a candy bar dubbed as my cake alongside a candle that she melted from pieces of leftover wax and made for me to blow out.



The Birth Center was oddly slow, so I painted and sewed, played backgammon and got into great conversations about world religions and its effect on modern society. It was a perfect day of drinking tea and relaxing. They sung Happy BD in 3 different languages and the day ended with a group movie.



It truly was all that I needed to turn to my 35th chapter of life. Thank you again to all those who remembered and contacted me – such special people you are.

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm Stephanie(+Jane) - only yesterday reading your FB posts I was wondering how old you are/were. Now I know and seriously though I might also be a FB friends, we still care about you enough to want to wish you Happy / Ugandan / Birthday.
    David and Cheryl Pisterman

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Cheryl (& David!) for the BD wishes. Don't be offended...it is just an extension of my vicious love/hate relationship with FB that I avoid soliciting so many BD messages via their forum. Hope you're both well! Thanks so much for keeping up. Much love to you both!! Tell everyone I said Hi.

    ReplyDelete