Sunday, September 22, 2013

Meet Little Elizabeth

Gloria holding Elizabeth.

Up early for a beautiful birth at 4:15 am for a young 18 ? year old who barely made a sound … the baby was premature and came too early, but made for a rather easy pushing stage for the mother because of the small size…

(Was she really 18? The TBA taught me today that 18 is a popular age because anything below that, the family could take the father to jail for rape … )

...having no plans for a name, the Mother-in-Law and Village Midwife decided it best that I name the baby … (having the white woman, I have learned, name the child is very much liked by all)

Gloria, her mother-in-law and the Village Midwife, Paraseska
…cute as a little button and works so hard just to eat, breathe, live and survive given the odds here & her prematurity … I named her Elizabeth, after my sister – not that she was premature or has to work hard to eat, breathe, or live, but I just thought it fitting...Then again, maybe as an ER Resident her similar needs of basic food, sleep and warmth are more parallel to her namesake here in Uganda than I originally thought!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment