Friday, March 19, 2010

Imanpa, Northern Territory

Without meaning to, I've arrived, worked and am now leaving my 3rd community: Imanpa. After Elizabeth left last week, I returned to the Northern Territory for a short contract in this community.


View Larger Map

Roughly about 2 hours East of Ayers Rock (Uluru) and 3 hours from Alice Springs, Imanpa is a small community of only a few hundred people. It's nestled within a little valley, which creates a fantastic sunrise and sunset daily! Although work is most of my day, I've spent all of my spare time running and reading to prepare for classes that I'm taking next week in Alice Springs: this one and this one.

I hope everyone is doing well -- happy, healthy and whole. I'm doing great and, despite the isolated frustrations, am filled more and more by the beauty of the people, places and experiences I'm gathering on this journey. Yet, daily I still miss Buster and iced tea! (along w/ much more.)

Also, thanks so much for all the support since I've been gone. The correspondence, be it snail mail, emails, packages or gifts go a long, long way when you're this isolated from everything and everyone, esp. family and friends. For those of you who have lived remotely before, I know you can empathize. Just for someone to go out of their way to connect is priceless!  Truly, Thank you! I'll never forget it.

Much love to you all, Stephanie jane

           Things that make me smile these days:
~~my life. sunrise runs into wide, open spaces. loveable, adorable kids. the sheer anticipation! of a proper coffee in town. surprise letters from friends I haven't spoken to for nearly 10 years. planning my sunflower field. long chats over tea with women in the community. knowing I am free. planning to be home in May. videos from home of new tricks my dog has learned. living out of one suitcase.

1 comment:

  1. Its always good to know how to "birth them babies...." Really. Love, Deb

    ReplyDelete