Friday, January 22, 2010

Beetroot Risotto

Aussies and their beetroot! I have never eaten so much beet in my life, as I did the years I lived here. It's just not as much a part of 'our' diet at home as it seems to be here. I grew a love for them especially beetroot dip.

I ran across this recipe that I recently tested out on my friends, Jay & Helen, and it received 3 thumbs up! Whether homegrown beets (Mom, now you have something to cook w/ all the beets I planted!) or beets from the supermarket, hope you give this one a try. Super good!



Beetroot Risotto

2 Beetroot (about 450 gram) (I bought a can from the grocery store)
1 liter vegetable stock
2 Tbsp Butter
2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
1 cup arborio rice (I used simple brown rice)
70 g parmesan, grated
1/2 cup chopped flat leaf parsley leaves
olive oil to drizzle
green salad to serve, optional

Wearing latex gloves, peel beetroot with a small, sharp knife, then grate into a bowl. Place vegetable stock in a saucepan over high heat and bring to the boil, then reduce heat to a low simmer. Heat butter in a large, heavy based saucepan over a medium heat. Add garlic and onion, and cook until onion is soft, then add beetroot and stir for 1 minute. Add rice and stir for a further minute until grains are well coated and glossy. Add 1 cup of stock and simmer, stirring, until absorbed. Repeat until all the stock has been absorbed and ric e is al dente and coated in a creamy sauce. Fold parmesan through risotto. Remove risotto from heat, spoon into 4 warmed serving bowls and scatter with parsley. Drizzle with olive oil and serve with green salad if desired. Serves 4.

1 comment:

  1. I am just now having a chance to get caught up on reading all of your thoughts. I absolutely love it. Everything you write is so you, coming from your heart. Keep it up. I love you so. Mom

    ReplyDelete