Sunday, January 24, 2010

Kiva & Collected Consciousness



As one of my 2010 ‘Mighty Goals’, I've joined Kiva.org as part of my commitment to the developing world. I am sharing this because if you are interested, I am asking you to join my efforts.

I've long been a fan of Kiva. For those of you who aren't familiar with Kiva, it's a grassroots project that allows someone like me to make (real-time) micro-loans directly to entrepreneurs in the developing world via the internet. We are talking about small loans, not donations, to people (who in many cases) wouldn't qualify for loans otherwise. Whether a baker in Afghanistan, a goat herder in Uganda, a farmer in Peru, a restaurateur in Cambodia, or a tailor in Iraq -  as they repay the loan, I get my money back. And, the best part is that they are then left with a sustainable business that will provide income to feed, clothe, house and educate their family long after my loan is paid back.

Kiva is a reputable organization that has had great coverage in the media -- they were featured on The Oprah Winfrey Show, on CNBC’s Business Nation, Good Morning America and on the BBC, in Fortune Magazine and the New York Times, plus many more! They’ve been growing in terms of loan volume and staff as well, and landed the honor of being on the TIME list, “50 Best Websites in 2009″. So it seems that they’ve gained a lot of traction in the microlending world.

How does it work?
You can go to Kiva's website and lend to someone across the globe who needs a loan for their business - like raising goats, selling vegetables at market or making bricks. Each loan has a picture of the entrepreneur, a description of their business and how they plan to use the loan so you know exactly how your money is being spent - and you get updates letting you know how the entrepreneur is going.


The best part is, when the entrepreneur pays back their loan you get your money back - and Kiva's loans are managed by microfinance institutions on the ground who have a lot of experience doing this, so you can trust that your money is being handled responsible.

Why join me?
There were nearly 500 visits to Collected Consciousness last month - a statistic that continues to amaze me. I thought to myself that it would be great to figure out a way for my friends and family to affect change as a group - me + you. I'm convinced of the power of small amounts of capital to make a big difference, and I believe in the power of individuals - both on the lending and receiving ends.


Therefore, I’ve set up Collected Consciousness as a Kiva Lending Team and seeded our group with $100 in loans. If you have even $25 you can participate. Once you're a part of the team, you can choose to have a future loan on Kiva "count" towards our team's impact. The loan is still yours, and repayments still come to you - but you can also choose to have the loan show up in our team's collective portfolio, so our team's overall impact will grow! My loan of $100, combined with loans of $25 from other individuals can significantly impact lives and prospects.

In honor of my aid trip this past year to Bolivia, I chose the Navidad Group as my first recipient. The group was 95% completed with their loan request when I joined, and the very next day their loan was completed (by another group)! I will now receive payback and reviews of their growing business via email. It feels 'right' to actually do something about poverty. Using Kiva I know exactly who my money is loaned to and what they're using it for. And most of all, I know that I'm helping someone who is willing to help themselves.

Let's see what we can do together - I don't think $1,000 in loans from us as a group is an impossible first goal.

To participate:

1. Sign up for a Kiva account. If you already have a Kiva account, log in.

2. Join the Collected Consciousness Lending Team

3. Lend.


Join me in making it count.



1 comment:

  1. I have never heard of this, but will definitely research it. Mom

    ReplyDelete